China Tiesiju Civil Engineering Group awarded contract for road project in Ethiopia
The value of the consultancy contract is ETB 2,422,629,267.27 (approx. US$61,519,278.56), with a start date of 1st March 2021. The contract duration is 4 Years (or 48 Calendar months), including 4 months of mobilization period.
The project road starts at the junction for Jimma–Mizan Roads at the out skirt of Jimma town which is about 346 km South West of Addis Ababa and it ends in Chida town. The total length of the existing road is about 80 km.
The road will have a 7.0m carriageway width and 1.5m and 1.0m shoulder width for flat and rolling, and mountainous and escarpment terrains respectively on both sides in rural sections. In town sections, the carriageway and parking lane is 14m in total for Woreda seats, and 12m in total for Kebele seats. The town sections will also have side ditches on both sides of the road. Pedestrian walkways are also provided on both sides of the road for Woreda seats.
The scope of the contract includes:
- Provision and maintenance of site laboratory and accommodation, office, transport, equipment as per Bills of Quantities;
- Site clearance and setting out;
- Construction of culverts;
- Construction of Bridges;
- Construction of drainage facilities such as ditches, outfalls, linings for drains and outfalls and scour check;
- Construction of retaining wall structures;
- Construction of sub-grade, sub-base and base course layers;
- Construction of shoulders with double bituminous surface seal;
- Construction of asphalt concrete surfacing on carriageway;
- Provision and erection of road furniture;
- Accommodation of traffic throughout the construction period;
- Ancillary operations to complete the execution of the Works; and
- Taking care of the Works prior to the issue of a Taking-Over Certificate and rectification of defects during the Defects Liability Period
According to information posted on the African Development bank website, a total of six bidders submitted proposals for the supervision contract. The other five bidders were:
- JMC Projects (India) Limited [India]
Shandong Luqiao Group Co., Ltd. [Chinese]
China Gezhouba Group Company Limited [Chinese]
- Sinohydro Corporation Limited [Chinese]
Zhejiang Communications Construction Group Co., Ltd [Chinese]